9.21.2009

Tropical Touches

I’ve been inspired recently by all the decorating options I have afforded to me because of where I live. The other day I cut some flowers from the yard and made bouquet below. Unfortunately I don’t know much about plants, so I’m going to have to call the neighborhood jardinero soon to give me some advice and direction so they don’t shrivel and die. But for now, we’re enjoying their lovely bright colors.


Last week we bought a set of two bamboo chairs for our living room. They are made by a Dominican man at the base of Julia Alvarez’s coffee farm. He doesn’t use any nails or glue--only cuts and fits the pieces together and laces the back with a few copper strands for stability. Then he burns the wood to give it a nice finish. Isn’t his work amazing?!






























Finally, I was inspired by all the bamboo in this country, so I’m starting a Lost-esque mural on our blue accent wall. I haven’t gotten too far yet, but hopefully it will give the feel that we have bamboo trees growing in our living room.

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

Hey Whitney!!! I didn't know you guys were in the DR now! That's so amazing...I'm so jealous. I went there with YL in college and have been in love with Jarabacoa and the YL camp there ever since. Hope you and Tim are doing well. I'm bad about updating my blog too, but I'm trying to be better about it also. Hang in there and know that we love hearing about your life! And if you get a chance, check out my new blog...Jay and I are expecting a baby in April! Love, Chels